Insightful Thinking Real Solutions
Our HR Consultancy Services
Our services are tailored to provide best value dependent on your current needs and include:
- Employee Relations (ER)
- Leadership Training and Coaching
- Workplace or Commercial Mediation
- Recruitment and Talent Management
- Leadership Development Programme
- DiSC Personality Assessment
- Change Projects
- Pay, Grading and Reward
- Occupation Health Referrals
- Counselling and Support Services
- Job Evaluations (Education Sector)
- HR News and HR Briefings
Why should you consider outsourcing and using our HR consultancy services?
There are a range of valuable reasons why businesses, charities and education sectors should consider outsourcing and using HR consultancy services, including:
- Expertise and Specialisation: HR consultancy firms are staffed with HR experts and are a flexible added value talent pool, who bring specialised knowledge with significant experience in various areas of human resources, such as employee relations, dispute resolution, mediation, recruitment, training, induction, job evaluation and leadership development. Their expertise ensures that HR policies and processes are handled efficiently and effectively in line with employment law and best practice.
- Cost Efficiency: Outsourcing HR consultancy can be more cost-effective than maintaining an in-house HR team and will add additional strategic and hands-on professional capacity. It reduces overhead costs related to salaries, benefits, training and induction. Outsourcing provides access to a talent pool of HR Directors, with a wealth of sector-specific experience, without the considerable cost of employing them!
- Access to Best Practice: HR consultants stay up-to-date with the latest HR trends, and regulations and share best practice. They are independent and highly confident to deal with disputes, negotiations, processes efficiently and effectively, which provide timely outcomes and dedicated support up to Executive Board level.
- Strategic Focus: By outsourcing employee relations casework, dispute resolution, recruitment, mediation, policy updates, and implementing people strategies, internal HR teams can concentrate on strategic and other initiatives such as talent development, succession planning, and organisational culture, which can significantly impact on long-term success and meeting priorities. Getting tied up with time-consuming, stressful and potentially controversial people matters, such as grievances, disciplinaries, redundancies, capability or lack of appropriate resources and expertise to drive forward outcomes, can have a detrimental costly impact. Ask leaders, what most keeps them awake at night, it’s normally dealing with people issues.
- Flexibility: HR consultancy services can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Whether you require assistance with a one-time project, ongoing support, or crisis management, consultants can adapt their support and services accordingly and have a wealth of sector-specific experience, knowledge and skills to challenge, provide insight, deliver leadership, and people priorities. They are an extension of your executive board and team.
- Scalability: As your company grows or experiences fluctuations in HR needs, consultancy services can scale up or down accordingly. This adaptability ensures you receive the right level of support at any given time.
- Mitigation of Legal and Compliance Risks: HR consultants are well-versed in employment law, legislation and regulations. Their guidance and experience help minimise risk management, reducing the potential for costly claims. During the last 7-years, and despite dealing with some very complex and contentious casework, Birch-HR and all their clients have not had a successful claim nor been required to attend a tribunal.
- Objective Perspective: HR consultants can provide a varied objective viewpoint on HR, leadership and people-related issues, fostering a fair, impartial and innovative approach to employee relations, conflict resolution, and policy development.
- Confidentiality: HR consultants maintain a high level of confidentiality when handling sensitive HR matters, ensuring that employee privacy and information are strictly safeguarded. They are a safe-sounding board up to executive board level.
In summary, outsourcing and utilising HR consultancy services can enhance HR functionality, reduce costs, improve compliance, and allow internal HR teams to focus on other initiatives and/or can be the sole HR service, ultimately contributing to overall success and growth.
Employee Relations (ER)
With a rational pragmatic focus on HR resolution, we provide expert employee relations advice and guidance on:
- Disciplinary, grievance and capability process
- Sickness/special leave of absence
- Performance management implementation
- Conflict resolution
- Contracts of employment
- Policies and procedures
- Negotiating exit strategies
- Trade union and employee consultation
- ACAS conciliation
Leadership Training and Coaching
Birch-HR provides client leadership and management training, facilitating a combination of workshops, training programmes and topical, scenario-based sessions.
We provide training and coaching to equip leaders and managers with enhanced skills, confidence and knowledge which will help to:
- Embed HR policies, employment law, culture change and best practice.
- Reduce employee sickness absence.
- Improve management performance, morale and productivity.
- Develop and nurture future leaders and middle managers.
- Assist with succession planning and talent management.
- Build a confident high performing team who are ready, skilled to motivate and lead others.
When workplace investigations on disciplinary, grievance, dignity-at-work, whistleblowing or other complaints benefit from independent external support, a dedicated senior HR consultant will be allocated to support you. Besides drafting the terms of reference (TOR), our HR consultant can also undertake the actual fact-finding in a fair and objective way and keep the process on track on your behalf. Skilled at gathering evidence, fact-finding, interviewing witnesses and presenting evidence at hearings and appeals, our investigators include former HR directors who have an excellent understanding of the complexities of formal HR processes and the sensitivities involved.
Recruitment and Talent Management
You don’t need us to tell you that your people are your best asset. We understand how to help our clients plan and implement effective recruitment and talent management strategies, aligned with our HR knowledge. Let us help you navigate the most cost-effective advertising resources available, create an optimal candidate experience, attract the best talent and enable a fair, compliant and cost-effective recruitment and selection process.
We have the capacity to undertake executive search and head-hunting for leadership and other specialist posts such as CEO, CFO, Headteacher, HR Director or Strategic Business manager. We will help you construct an efficient recruitment campaign; assess candidate key abilities, skills and behaviours via panel interviews and perform relevant tasks and psychometric testing to ensure you find individuals who will work coherently with your principles, ethos and job priorities. Support can also be provided for devising successful retention strategies and utilising relevant tools for planning and implementing staff surveys or exit interviews to develop a more positive workplace culture and reduce staff turnover.
DiSC is a leading and trusted personal assessment tool, to help improve teamwork, communication, self-awareness, productivity, leadership effectiveness and develop collaborative working relationships. Our Birch-HR network of trainers, facilitators and coaches, are DiSC accredited and have full access to the Everything DiSC and Five Lencioni Behaviours suite of assessments. Birch-HR can facilitate individual/team personality assessments, interactive leadership and team workshops, which act as a catalyst for change and can take your organization or multi academy to the next level.
Accredited Civil Mediation Council (CMS) Mediators
Our accredited mediator(s) support the impartial resolution of conflicts and employment disputes by using collaborative problem solving for establishing relations rather than apportioning blame. The process facilitates a safe and confidential space for participants to evaluate the reasons behind the conflict and find collaborative ways to resolve the cause of the dispute.
Leadership Development Programme
This programme is for new, developing and aspiring leaders in education. There are three key themes: managing yourself, leading the team and leading across the school/Multi-academy. The programme is high impact across 6 days, typically over 2 full-day sessions for 3 months. It focuses on using an effective coaching model to improve self-awareness and develop individual leadership skills. We can customise the programme for our clients.
High-impact leadership is a key element for the success of high-performing individuals and senior leadership teams in schools, academies and MATs. Over and above delivering fantastic teaching and curriculum excellence, our leadership and coaching programme develops the leaders and managers of tomorrow and avoids “team traps” that hinder high performance. This ultimately leads to improving outcomes for young people and the best leaders/managers.
Our experienced and knowledgeable HR consultants can help you plan and implement your change project. We can work as your HR team and/or alongside your internal HR team to deliver strategic change priorities by providing dedicated and qualified HR professionals to successfully deliver your change project. We have the relevant experience and knowledge to support the centralisation of support services, such as finance, estates, IT, HR and procurement. We can support the introduction of new terms and conditions, harmonisation, new pay and grading, trade union consultation, employee engagement and others. Our services include support with planning, project management and culture change, developing a robust performance management approach. We will support you with leadership pay/benefit reviews and/or restructures.
Counselling and Support Services
In partnership with Therapy Centre Services, our dedicated team of Counsellors are here to support employers and employees with a wide range of counselling service solutions. A referral is made within 24 hours, counselling is NOT time limited to 6-8 sessions, you will receive an initial report, interim report and final report to assist with managing and supporting an individual case and there is no annual contract to sign.
Counselling can assist to resolve a range of employee work and personal related issues, as well as exploring coping skills. Counselling changes lives. This includes dealing with anxiety, family issues, cancer, bullying, depression, trauma, domestic abuse, sexuality etc.
We look forward to arranging a convenient time to establish how we can best support your current leadership with the delivery of both current and future HR priorities.